Wow! Cod in soy marinade on a fennel bed with additional fresh flavours of apple and lemon juice matching perfectly with the delicate cod. A quick and simple dish, yet an elegant looking with a lovely flavor that is loved by all. Don’t expect leftovers!
I can’t say I have always loved fish. Previously, if you waved a perfectly cooked steak and a perfectly cooked piece of fish in front of me and ask me to choose, what would I do? Often would I have chosen the steak, but when trying out some new fish recipes, my preferences has changed a bit.
Nevertheless, a big factor, too, is that I like how it makes me feel full and completely satisfied without making me feel like my stomach is weighing me down.
Ultimately, the recipe can be served both as a dinner or as a starter. Suits perfect regardless the occasion.
What cod to buy? For a recipe like this one to make it full bloom, go for the fresh ones from your local seafood market. Compare the thickness, it will impact cooking time, when following instructions in a recipe.
If you like cod, check out my superb cod recipe with Serbian sausage sremska
Fish nerd? Well, find out more about cod.
Cod in soy marinade on a fennel bed
- 500 g cod fillets
- 50 ml of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb small
- 6 sprigs of dill chopped
- 4 tsp sesame seeds white/black
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- ½ pot fresh coriander leaves picked
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ lemon fresh juice
- To start the dish, marinate the cod in the soy sauce for 30 minutes. Remove the fish and pat dry
- Slice the fennel very finely with a knife or mandoline and place in a bowl. Mix in a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lemon juice and some chopped dill
- Roast the sesame seeds in a pan until golden. Then, take the cored apple. and cut it into thin batons and add to the fennel along with the sesame seeds. Give it a quick stir and put aside.
- Prepare the oven to and set it to: 200°C/395°F
- Place a large non-stick pan on a high heat with a small dash of oil. Evenly sear the cod, colouring for approximately 1 minute on each side. Place in the oven for 3-4 minutes, then remove and rest for 3-4 minutes to finish cooking through
- Give the fennel salad another mix and place into the center of each plate. Place the cod on top of the salad, garnish with the coriander leaves and serve immediately. Enjoy!Oh la la la … Food Cuisine