Explore this lovely looking and tasty recipe with fried Cod with Sremska and mashed potatoes on a bed of bed of pomegranate, chili, pepper, parsley and lemon.
Cod fish is sometimes nicknamed as the “chicken of the sea” because of it’s white, lean, flaky meat and mild taste. With its mild taste, you could season it with whatever that suits your mood. And here where the Sremska, with its spiciness, fits the plate perfectly.
The best part is that this fried/baked cod, itself, doesn’t require much effort and comes ready in just 20 minutes and the end result is always juicy and moist.
Is cod good for you?
Absolutely. You can read in this FDA chart for their healthy and safe recommendations on eating fish.
What to buy? For a recipe like this one, go for the fresh ones from your local seafood market. Compare the thickness, it will impact cooking time, when following instructions in a recipe.
Curious about Sremska sausage? Here is some info: Sremska
Fried Cod with Sremska and mashed potatoes
- 300 g Cod back fillet
- 1 dl salt
- 1 l Water
- 1 Butter
- 150 g Sremska, sausage Spicy chorizo will be fine
- Small pot of Parsley
- 1 Small pomegranate
- 1 Chili
- 2 tbsp. Green pepper
- 1 Lemon
- 500 g Potatoes
- 1.5 dl Milk
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- Salt och white pepper
- Set the oven to 200 °C / 390 °F
- Then prepare the cod. I use a Cod size up to 300g as one piece for 2 portions. Its easier for me to sear in the pan, if you use larger recipe sizes then you may cut the cod into even bits
- Stir salt into boiling water and let it cool down to lukewarm level, put in the cod and let it for 15 minutes. Take out the fisk and wipe it with kitchen paper.
- Shred/cut the parsley/chili/pepper, de-seed the pomegranate Zest the lemon, add a splash of olive oil and mix everything together in a bowl.
- Fry the Cod in butter in a hot frying pan until the surface is brown (one side only), about 3 minutes
- Place the cod in a greased ovenproof dish with the fried side up and cook in the oven until the fish is done, about 5-10 minutes (internal temperature 50-52°C).
- Fry the Sremska crispy. If you have second pan you can start earlier to make the sausages ready in time.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into smaller sizes. Boil the potatoes soft. Pour off the water. Mash them into the right consistency, mix and stir in milk and butter, taste with salt and pepper.