Baked cod with citrus gremolata on a bed of vegetables paired with smashed potatoes (with butter and cheese). What can go wrong? Super tasty recipe with the citrus-lime-orange and garlic flavors mixed with the added sting in the sauce. The citrus smell of the dish is uplifting fresh, looks fantastic and can be used both on weekdays or fine-dining with family and friends. The best part is it doesn’t require much effort, just chop chop, put in oven, zest the citrus, put together and serve. The end result is always juicy and moist. Easy as that.
Health tips about cod: You can read in this FDA chart for their healthy and safe recommendations on eating fish.
What to buy? For a recipe like this one, go for the fresh ones from your local seafood market. Compare the thickness, it will impact cooking time, when following instructions in a recipe.
If you like cod, check out my cod recipe with Serbian sausage sremska
Baked cod with citrus gremolata
- 300 g cod fillet
- 1 yellow onion
- 15 cm leek
- 200 g sugar peas
- salt and pepper
- 3 dl cream
- 1 tbsp. sambal oelek will give you the "sting" in the sauce
- ½ fish stock cube
- 1 zest of a orange
- 1 zest of a lemon
- 1 zest of a lime
- 2-4 garlic cloves 4 cloves if you love garlic
- 1 pot parsley
- Set the oven to 175 °. and prepare the ingrediens.
- Start with peeling and cutting the onion roughly. Slice the leek thinly. Put half of the sugar peas in the bottom of a ovenproof dish together with the onion and leek.
- After that, place cod on top. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Meanwhile, boil the cream and sambal oelek with the bouillon cube, for a minute or so, and pour over the fish.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until the fish is done (internal temperature 52-53 °C /127 °F). Timing depends of the thickness of the cod.
- In parallell, make the gremolata while the fish is in the oven. Mix the zest from the citrus fruits with really pressed garlic and finely chopped parsley. Parboil the saved sugar peas for a few seconds when the fish starts to reach its final temperature
- When cod is ready, take out the dish and spread the gremolata on top of the cod and place the parboiled sugar peas on the sides.
- Serve with preferably crispy top grilled smashed potatoes layered with butter and cheese.Enjoy!