The Swedish Pizza Salad is a cultural food experience. When you order a pizza, it’s served with a complimentary salad, in both restaurants and take away. It’s made of cabbage. It is a kind of coleslaw with white wine vinegar, salt, oregano and oil. It’s fresh, crispy and a bit weird.
My recipe is near the take-away-experience and it’s easy to make and you always have a salad ready to be enjoyed as it lasts up to 10 days in the refrigerator.
I love this salad and I make it quite often, not just to serve with pizza. I usually make a bigger batch than I have written up here because this cabbage salad makes a marvelous accompaniment to other dishes too. It goes with almost everything such as chicken, pork or beef.
Also perfect as a solo snack in-between meals. Often it doesn’t last long. Not at our home, anyway.
When you just love cabbage:
A few suggestions to a couple of delicious cabbage recipes. Also quick and easy to make. No-one will be disappointed.
Did you make this?
Did you make this delicious Swedish Pizza Salad?
Please, I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located within recipe), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful and tasty!
Star ratings are especially helpful because they help others find my recipes too.
Would love to see your picture of your dish: tag me on social @le
Swedish Pizza Salad
- ½ head of white cabbage ca 6-700 g, very finely shredded
- 2 l water
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oregano dryed
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp white pepper optional, but gives a nice heat
- Shred the cabbage head finely with a mandolin. Then put all the salad in a colander.Boil the water & pour it over the cabbage. Let it drain and cool off
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients.
- Place the cabbage in a separate large bowl and pour the dressing over. Using clean hands, squeeze and knead the cabbage well to release juices.
- Do a taste test and adjust the flavor to your preference.
- Leave the salad to rest overnight in the refrigerator. But if you want the salad the same day, you can let it stand and soak for at least 60 minutes in the fridge.Cuisine, You'll Love It!