Superb creamy pepper sauce with cognac mixed with exploding palette of flavours. A bit spicy but, as always, you can adjust the level of peppers and sambal oelek.
Why Do Some Onions Taste Bitter?
It’s because Onion can taste awful or bitter when diced and then are exposed to the air for a while. After about 30 minutes, it’s starting developing a strong bitter taste (oxidization). To avoid this bitterness, do cook them immediately. High heat should never be used to cook onions, because it causes bitterness as well.
Make a double size and divide into portions to freeze and use conveniently when needed.
Creamy pepper sauce with cognac
- 2 shallots
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp coarsely crushed whole rose peppercorns
- 1 tsp coarsely crushed whole black peppercorns
- 3 dl cream
- 2 dl crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp soy
- 1 tbsp calf broth concentrated
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 1/2 dl cognac
- Start with crushing the pepper in a mortar or similar.
- Finely chop the shallots. Use a sauce pan and fry the shallots in butter until softened and slightly colored.
- Stir in all the ingredients to the sauce and taste. Let reduce (boil down) to the desired consistency. It took, for me, around 20-25 minutes Passion for Cuisine