Absolutely gorgeous homemade smashed burgers that you can easy make yourself. Together with the mayo/mustard/ketchup dressing filled with chopped pickles, you’ll find this recipe very addictive.
The seasoning couldn’t be more simple and it takes less than 10 minutes to cook in a skillet. Top these amazing burgers with American cheddar cheese and, why not, candy-sweet caramelized onions for a mouthwatering burger you can’t wait to eat.
This smash burger recipe will be your favorite, even if you don’t know it yet.
A smash burger is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. It is a burger where the beef gets smashed onto the hot cooking surface rather than being shaped into a patty. This method for a cast iron skillet burger is the secret to crispy, craggy hamburger edges and a seriously juicy center. It’s so simple. You will never go back.
A few tips towards success:
Make sure your pan is very hot. You want your burgers to be crisp on the outside yet tender in the middle, so make sure your pan is super hot.
Only smash it once. Resist the urge to smash the burgers a second time after flipping. Smashing them after their initial smash could cause some of their juices and fat to release, resulting in a dry burger.
Don’t move them around. The key to getting a dark, crisp exterior is to leave the burgers alone.
Double up. Since they’re such thin patties you’ve got to double these smash burgers up.
The bun matters. Prepare them with butter and toast them crispy.
Cheddar cheese slices. Use the American pre-cut with plastic sheets in-between. They are absolutely best and melts as they should do. Just trust me on this one.
Extra nice bonus if you can serve them in hamburger pockets. Always appreciated.
Gorgeous homemade smashed burgers
- 320 g ground beef 85/15
- 1 tbsp butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices American cheddar cheese
- ½ dl mustard, sweet and strong
- ½ dl ketchup
- ½ dl Srivatsa mayo
- 2 pickled cucumber finely chopped
- heart cabbage few slices, cut thin
- 2 split hamburger buns
- Chop the pickles and mix all dressing ingredients together.
- Slice the cabbage in really thin slices, put in ice cold water for 10 min. Then pour off the water.
- Divide the ground beef into 4 portions and form into rough, loose balls (do not press them together). Flatten the balls with a flat spatula to form rough 10 cm wide patties that are about 1 cm thick. Cook until the edges are brown and the beef no longer sticks to the skillet, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add some butter on the buns, both top and bottom. Roast them crunchy.
- Start to prepare the buns with the lovely dressing and add some crispy salad.
- Let your cast iron get smoking hot.Flatten the balls with a flat spatula, or bottom of a sauce pan, to form rough 10 cm wide patties that are about 1 cm thin. Add some salt and pepper. Cook until the edges are brown and the beef no longer sticks to the skillet, about 1-2 minutes
- When crispy turn around and top with cheese and let it melt and your done.
- Build your burgers on toasted buns with dressing, salad and desired toppings Slip them into a burger pocket and serve immediately and with, if you so desire, some potato wedges. Enjoy!Cuisine reaching for the stars