Cauliflower / fennel gratin with hazelnuts, delicious and super healthy. Warm, earthy, slightly sweet, spicy and nutty. This gratin is absolutely fantastic.
Above all, the recipe is a simple thing to do – some blanched cauliflower and sliced fennel, a creamy sauce and a panko breadcrumb topping with buttery roasted hazelnuts.
And what’s more, the gratin can be used as a vegetarian dish or as an accompaniment to fried or grilled fish, meat or chicken. This time we had pork tenderloin, marinated in cognac for 1 hour, then seared on the stove in a cast iron pan, salt and pepper added. All in all, suited the gratin perfectly.
Cauliflower / fennel gratin with hazelnuts
- 1 cauliflower around 600g
- 1 fennel
- 3 dl broth from the cauliflower/fennel boiling water
- 2 dl cream
- 3 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper
- ½ tbsp curry powder Madras, strong
- ½ tbsp paprika powder smoked, strong
- 1/2 dl panko
- 1 dl roasted hazelnuts crushed
- 1 dl Mache or parsley chopped, for decoration
- Divide the cauliflower head into bouquets. Divide the fennel stands into slices. Boil them in lightly salted water, 3-5 minutes. Let the vegetables drain in a colander. Save some of the boiling water for the sauce
- Place the fennel in the bottom of a greased ovenproof dish. Spread the cauliflower bouquets on top.
- Roast the hazelnuts in a pan on the stove in butter so they get some color and buttery taste.
- Make the sauce: Mix broth, cream, wheat flour and whisk smoothly in a saucepan. Boil the sauce for 5 minutes. Season with curry, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables. Sprinkle with panko and hazelnuts. Gratinate in the upper part of the oven, about 15-20 minutes.
- When ready, garnish with shredded greens. Enjoy! Better living through tasty Cuisine.