Smashed potatoes with parmesan! Tired of cooking and serving boring potatoes, then turn boiled potatoes into something full of amazing flavors.
They’re fluffy on the inside, and crispy on the surface. All those ridges are the best! Forget squashing them neat and flat – the more roughness the surface, the better the crunch
Also, you can totally feel free to add flavoring’s like garlic and dried herbs, as I did, but they do burn a bit so you’ll get little black bits on the surface, i.e. more crisp. I typically serve these on the side of mains. It will go with pretty much any dish, from pork chops to fish, chicken to steak.
Does it look complicated? In reality they are very easy to make. Simply boil the potatoes until tender, smash, season and grill them in oven for 10 minutes and serve.
Smashed potatoes with parmesan
- 8 potatoes medium-sized
- salt when boiling the potatoes
- salt flakes to season the smashed potatoes
- 30 g parmesan finely grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tbsp oregano dried
- 1 tbsp thyme dried
- Peel the potatoes. Cut off any “eyes” or other undesirable spots. Place in a large pot and cover with water, bringing the water about 2 cm above the potatoes. Salt the water. Bring to a boil. Simmer the potatoes until fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your potatoes. And when ready, pour off the water and let them cool a bit.
- Meanwhile, mix the herb and butter/oil. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, grease an oven form and grate the parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 200°C, Just to keep it warm, we're going to use the grill later on.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, transfer them to an oven form, use a fork or similar to "smash" them. Drizzle the herb mix on top and season with salt flakes. Spread the parmesan evenly over the form.
- Turn the grill element in the oven to high and put in the potatoes. Check from time to time, around 10 min is usually a normal time, or until they start to look brown. Take potatoes out of the oven. Now you'll have a perfect side dish. Cuisine – The joy of food