Ultimate Double Bubble Baked Potatoes are potato perfection! There’s only one thing better than a baked potato and that’s a double baked potato.
As you can understand, these potatoes are baked two different times. First, you bake the potatoes in the oven. Next, you scoop out the filling and add all of the ingredients. Secondly, you spoon them back in the potatoes and bake again! You want to leave the potato skin intact so it makes a nice shell for the filling.
These twice baked potatoes are easy to prepare, and yet seem like a fancy side dish, but they are also hearty enough to make a meal on their own.
Understandably, Double Bubble Baked Potatoes are only as good as the filling. Of course, this filling is completely customizable and a playground for you to customize with your favorite seasonings and add-ins, simply whatever you have on hand or are in the mood for! Use your preferred spices or try the recipe suggestion.
Tips: DON’T OVERMIX. Overmixing your potato mixture can make your potatoes gummy.
If you are a potato geek, here some info of baked potato from all over the world.
And you browse through my other potato dishes.
Double Bubble Baked Potatoes
- 2 large potatoes for baking type: Russet / Idaho
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 140 g bacon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp minced green onion
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 pinch Ancho chili powder to taste
- 100 g Cheddar cheese shredded
- 0.75 dl heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 piri piri chili optional, finely chopped
- basil garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°F (410°F). Cover a baking sheet with baking paper.Wash and dry the potatoes. Pierce the potatoes in 8 to 10 places with a small knife or fork.
- Rub potatoes with vegetable oil and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until fork tender, about 1 hour (depending of size of potato). Set aside to cool until easy to handle, just a few minutes. Potato will mix better when warm.
- Meanwhile when potatoes are in the oven, place bacon in a skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Prepare all the ingredients.
- Cut ⅓ off each potato lengthwise (the top). Scoop flesh from each potato close into the skin. Careful not to rip the skin. Transfer flesh to a bowl.
- Combine potato flesh with butter, green onion and bacon. Stir until butter is melted evenly into potato. Add salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, ancho, chili and cheese. Stir gently until cheese is blended.
- Pour cream and egg yolk into potato mixture. Mix to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Place the small piece of potato skin (top) inside the bottom of each larger potato shell. It will give height to your potato filling, hence the double bubble.
- Fill each potato with potato and cheese mixture. Gently press the surface of the filling with a fork to create some texture. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with smoked paprika.
- Now bake the stuffed potatoes, a second time, until golden brown on top, 20 to 30 minutes. Garnish with some bacon and basil.
- The baked potatoes are best fresh out of the oven, so you'll want to serve them immediately. Enjoy!Making Cuisine Taste Better