Here you have my variant of the tasty aromatic Shakshuka with minced beef in a tomato and onion sauce. Additional bacon and cheese makes the one-pan a perfect companion when gathering family and friends.
Super easy recipe to make and you can vary this dish by flavoring the simple tomato sauce with whatever you have to hand – curry powder, pesto or fresh herbs. I added a bunch of spices and it tasted really fantastic. It works just as well for brunch as it does for dinner.
It usually comes with flatbread/pita to scoop up the sauce and wipe the pan clean.
What is Shakshuka? And where is it from?
Shakshuka, pronounced Shahk-SHOO-kah! This original easy and healthy egg dish is vegetarian, gluten free, and incredibly delicious. Traditional Shakshuka originally came from North Africa–Tunisia is said to be its place of birth–but it is quite popular in the Middle East and you’ll find variations of it in Palestine, Israel, Egypt and many other places.
Give it a try and I think you’ll have a new favorite called Shakshuka with minced beef, bacon, cheese and much more.
Left-overs are perfect for next day lunch/dinner!
One pot-pan dinner are a favorite at our hose, you’ll fin more of those in my dinner categories. Feel free to explore.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #lembitlounge and leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Star ratings are especially helpful because they help others find my recipes too.
Shakshuka with minced beef
- Cast iron, oven friendly
- Sauce pan
- 400 g crushed tomatoes canned
- 2 onions yellow, finely chopped
- 150 g bacon sliced
- 100 g green chili mild taco chili, finely chopped
Minced Beef mix
- 500 g minced beef about 10%
- 3 garlic pressed
- 1 red chili sliced
- 30 g taco seasoning mix pre mixed
- 1 tsp Ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander dried
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly grinded
- 1 dl red wine a drinkable one, of your choice
- 4 egg
- 200 g grated cheese grated
- tabasco a few splashes according to taste
- olive oil and butter to fry the minced meat and onions/garlic/chili
- basil garnish
- Prepare the ingredients and set/pre heat the oven to 200 C° / 400 F°
- I use separate pan for the basic tomato sauce and a cast iron for frying and for oven gratin time. Just to be able to have more control when frying.Add the crushed tomatoes and finely sliced green chili into the saucepan on medium/low heat. Cast iron: Finely chop the onion and fry it soft in butter for a few minutes on medium heat. Add the pressed garlic and sliced chili and let it fry for a minute or two. Move the onion to saucepan. And the repeat for the sliced bacon. Stir to mix the flavours. Cast iron: Crumble in minced meat and brown it thoroughly together with all the spices. Lower the heat and add red wine. Simmer for 10 minutes or more until the sauce has reduced.Merge the two pans into the cast iron and stir together.
- Make four pits with a tablespoon and crack the eggs in. Sprinkle over the grated cheese. Splash some tabasco over the eggs.Put in oven and gratinate until the eggs are ready. It takes about 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, because the mixture of eggs and minced meat gets really hot!Sprinkle with basil when serving.Go to heaven with Cuisine!