Fried Cod in a citrus butter sauce, Norwegian style, called Sandefjord sauce. Could this be something for the weekend maybe? Cod in a frying pan becomes so juicy and tasty, preferring it over oven-fried. Moreover, with the skin left. This is so easy to make, and it’s perfect for a special dinner or, why not, even a quick lunch.
About the Sandefjord sauce origin, I really do not know. What I do know (googled) is that Sandefjord is a city in Norway, more specifically in Vestfold county. But nevertheless, this is a fish sauce that is perfect for several different kinds of fish, a useful sauce recipe in other words. And as always, there’s a variety of small differences in this sauce recipes, both with Dijon mustard and chive and more. But it’s so tasty so I’ll try the other variants as well.
Cod recommendation? For a recipe like this one to make it full bloom, go for the fresh ones from your local seafood market. Compare the thickness, it will impact cooking time, when following instructions in a recipe.
If you like cod, check out my superb cod recipe with Serbian sausage sremska
Fish nerd? Well, find out more about cod.
Fried cod with Sandefjord sauce
- 300 g cod fresh
- 1 dl whipping cream
- 1 dl creme fraiche
- 100 g butter
- ½ lemon juice
- salt & white pepper
- Prepare the fish and chop up the vegetables. Salt the cod and let it sink in for a 30 min.
- Boil cream and sour cream and simmer on medium heat so it is slightly reduced. Lower the heat and stir the butter into cubes (after the butter has gone in, it must not boil to keep it from breaking), taste with lemon, salt and white pepper.
- Fry the vegetables until semisoft in a pan. Turn off heat and let it be.
- Second pan, fry the cod in plenty of butter. Start with the skin down for 3 minutes. Turn the cod over and fry for another 3 min. Remove from the heat and place on a lid and let stand for a while. (For exact temperature, stick a thermometer in the thickest part and let it go to 53-55 °C before you turn off the heat).
- Serve with fried vegetables and mashed potatoes and top with shrimp and a slice of lemon. Enjoy!Cuisine – gives that warm feeling.