Imagine a Cheese and Apple filled Falu sausage on a vegetable bed topped with a flavorful mustard/spicy sauce and roasted in the oven to a nice color. And understandingly, baked Falu sausage with Boston cucumber is a favorite for many and especially in Sweden. It’s a simple and good dinner classic that goes home with everyone. Cook the sausage with your own taste favorites or follow my simple dinner recipe.
This recipe is enough for 4 really hungry. And if it’s any leftovers, it’s a perfect lunch box.
Curious regarding “Bostongurka”? Read more about the Swedish relish.
What is Falukorv?
What is Falukorv? It a Swedish speciality and of course, you’ll find information from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falukorv, “Falukorv /ˈfɑːluˈkɔːrv/. It is a Swedish sausage made of a grated mixture of smoked pork and beef or veal with potato starch flour, onion, salt and mild spices.”
Someone described Falukorv like this: “If you can picture a hotdog on steroids, that’s what Falukorv is.“
Did you make this?
Did you make this delicious Cheese and Apple filled Falu sausage?
Please, I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located within recipe), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful and tasty!
Star ratings are especially helpful because they help others find my recipes too.
Cheese and Apple filled Falu sausage
- 800 g Falu sausage
- 1 onion yellow
- 2 apple red
- cheese slices as many as sausage cuts
- 3 carrots
- 1 coli flower
- 1 leek
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & black pepper a pinch of each
- 4 dl cream
- 2 tbsp concentrated beef broth
- 2 tbsp Bostongurka Swedish relish, pickled gherkins
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp Sambal Oelek
- 1 tbsp Madras curry powder
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika powder
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 175C°/350F°
- Groom, peel and divide all vegetables into coarse pieces and put them in an large bowl. Drizzle over oil, salt, pepper and turn everything around. Distribute them in an oven dish, about 25×35 cm
- Place the Falu sausage in the middle of the vegetable bed. Cut incisions in the sausage at intervals of about 2 cm, but beware not to cut all way through.
- Peel the onion. Divide the onion and apple in half and core the apple. Cut onion and apple into thin slices., or they will not fit Plane the same number of cheese slices as you made in the sausage. Take a slice of onion and an apple slice, wrap the slice of cheese around them and press down into a sausage slice. Repeat until the whole sausage is filled.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the the sauce and pour it into the oven form over the vegetables.
- Cook in the lower part of a hot oven, 175C°, for 40–45 min. Raise the heat to 200 ° towards the end so that you get a nice color on the sausage and cheese.
- Sprinkle parsley over sausages and vegetables. It can be eaten as is, or serve with mashed potatoes. Cuisine for the masses