The original Russian tasty beef Stroganoff (or Stroganov) with a few tweaks. Tender and juicy beef steak strips with onions, smothered in a savoury creamy sauce. Beef Stroganoff is the perfect comfort food and family favorite skillet meal.
Making tasty Beef Stroganoff is an easy, one-pan, 30-minute recipe and it’s super delicious! And who doesn’t love one pot beef dinners. Feel free to serve over any kind of potatoes (my preference), pasta or rice. The outcome is always the same. Immediate bliss followed by a food coma.
First off, the beef quality is paramount. Avoid stewing beef and buy sirloin or minute steak. I prefer using a leaner beef for a more balanced meal. Whatever cut of steak you choose buy the best quality you can afford. You only need a pound of it!
If, by chance, you happen to have leftovers or are meal prepping, beef stroganoff will keep for 3 to 4 days in the fridge. But be careful when reheating not to overcook the beef!
Perfect to put in freezer as well. The crème fraiche won’t separate or congeal. Thaw, then reheat.
WHY IS IT CALLED BEEF STROGANOFF?
Beef Stroganoff was invented in Russia in the early 1800’s. Count Stroganoff was a dignitary in the court of Alexander III. Count Stroganoff’s chef (who was likely French), created the dish and named it after Stroganoff.
Actually, this is a picture of Count Stroganoff and a lot of additional information.
And, this dish pairs perfectly with a Bordeaux-style wine.
бон аппетит! (Bon Appetit in Russian).
Tasty Beef Stroganoff
- large saute pan
- Iron cast skillet
- 500 g minute steak or sirloin steak thin slices, cut in stripes choose quality meat
- 2 onions diced
- 2 dl crème fraiche
- 2 dl vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard double up for more taste
- 1 tbsp tomato puree double up for more taste
- 1 dl soy
- ½ tbsp Sambal oelek double up for more heat
- 3-5 cl Cognac optional, but this will add some extra depth of flavor to the sauce
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Other for serving
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Boiled potato or rice, pasta, mashed potatoes
- Start by preparing the sauce in a large sauté pan. Mix all the ingredients into the pan and put it on low heat.
- Dice the onions and fry them gently in a skillet until slightly brown. Put the fried onion into the sauté pan.
- Take the thin sliced minute steaks and cut the slices into strips.
- Fry the meat on high heat and put them into the sauté pan. Them let it simmer until the potatoes or rice/pasta are ready. Fry in batches so you do not cool down the skillet. You want the brown dark surface on the slices.
- Meanwhile you making the meat, start to prepare your preferred accessories I just love boiled potatoes to this dish, but of course, rice or pasta will be as good.
- When ready to serve, cut up some parsley for garnish. slice the pickles.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!Bring Out The Cuisine!
Can also be frozen.