All-in-one casserole Potato cake with Falu sausage when you want a nice dinner but do not have plenty of time. Family weekday friendly but still having the looks of weekend dinner occasion.
The baked cake, beneath the sausage slices, with potato and cabbage blended with the spices and cream makes it a stunner taste experience. It wont last long, at least it didn’t at our place
Comfort food at its finest.
More Falu recipes?
Hope you make and love this recipe. I made another with Falu sausage in oven, The Boloney in oven with apple, Dijon and cheese. Just lovely!
What is Falukorv? It a Swedish speciality and of course, you’ll find information from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falukorv, “Falukorv /ˈfɑːluˈkɔːrv/. It is a Swedish sausage made of a grated mixture of smoked pork and beef or veal with potato starch flour, onion, salt and mild spices.”
Someone described Falukorv like this: “If you can picture a hotdog on steroids, that’s what Falukorv is.“
Tried the Potato cake with Falu sausage recipe?
If you made this recipe, I would be very pleased if you tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #lembitlounge and leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Please, I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located within recipe), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful and tasty!
Star ratings are especially helpful because they help others find my recipes too.
Potato cake with Falu sausage
- Oven form, large
- Cast iron pan
- 800 g potatoes
- 800 g Falukorv Swedish sausage, baloney, in 1 cm slices
- 300g white cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp curry madras powder
- ½ tbsp smoked red pepper
- 1 tbsp Sambal Oelek Optional
- 200 g cheese grated, of your choice/taste
- 5 dl heavy cream
- basil for garnish
- Prepare the ingredients. Set the oven to 225 C° / 435 F°. Grease a large ovenproof dish.
- Slice the onions and the cabbage thinly and put quickly into a hot pan for 1-2 minutes so they get some color. Then, put aside in a big bowl.Wash the potato thoroughly (I do not peel them) and slice them very thinly with a mandolin (preferred) or a sharp knife. Put potato slices into the bowl with the onion and cabbage. Mix and blend everything together and transfer the content to the greased oven form.
- Roughly grate the cheese ( save some for the topping) and mix it with the cream and all the spices. Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes in the oven form.
- Put the form in the middle of the oven and bake the cake for about 30-40 minutes. When it got nice color and the potatoes are almost ready, take it out.
- Put the sausage slices on top of the gratin and spread some cheese over or between the sausage.
- Bake for another 10-12 minutes so that the sausage gets color. I used the oven grill function for a minute or two to get the last crisp on the slices. Garnish with chopped basil and serve with some green/tomato salad of your choice. Enjoy!Cuisine. It's What's For Dinner.