Delicious, comforting, and so easy to make, this Egg Drop Soup with Chicken recipe is guaranteed to be a favorite.
Ready in nearly no time at all. Perfect weekday lazy dinner.
While the ingredients are super basic and require very little preparation, its flavor tastes so cozy and relaxing.
What is egg drop soup?
Egg Drop Soup is a delicious hot soup consisting of chicken broth, sesame oil, chicken stock powder, salt, white pepper, cornstarch and water. The yellow color comes from the very thin stream of beaten eggs poured into the simmering broth and of course from the turmeric. Also called egg flower soup since the beaten eggs resemble a flower blossoming while it’s being drizzled into the soup
Slowly stir in the eggs:
This recipe calls for the egg to be slightly beaten, which results in both white and yellow egg swirls. The speed at which you stir the soup when adding the egg also determines whether you get large “egg flowers” or small “egg flowers”. The faster you stir the soup, the smaller the egg flowers will be.
What to serve with egg drop soup:
Since the soup, with the chicken, is a full dinner dish, I just made some oven toasted crispy ciabatta buns. Perfect!
Soup is good, isn’t it? Here are a few more suggestions:
Hearty warm soup recipes’ for you:
Did you make this?
Did you make this delicious Egg drop soup with chicken?
Please, I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located within recipe), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful and tasty!
Star ratings are especially helpful because they help others find my recipes too.
Would love to see your picture of your dish: tag me on social @lembitlounge.
Also, you’re welcome to keep up with me on Instagram
Egg drop soup with chicken
- 1 l chicken broth I used 2 broth cubes
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tbsp japanese soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 300 g chicken breast boiled in broth, then shredded
- ½ dl water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 whole scallions sliced, reserving some for garnish
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Prepare the chicken breasts to be boiled. Flatten them with a meat hammer or if they are thick, cut them in half. The more even they are, it's easier to cook.
- Bring broth and the spices to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Put in the chicken in the soup and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes, depending of thickness of the filé. Then, take out the chicken and put on the cutting board.
- Shred the chicken into nice pieces of your liking. Set aside.
- Stir together water and the cornstarch. Whisk until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Pour into the soup and mix well.Add the scallions and the shredded chicken. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer and then drizzle the egg slowly, in circles, into the soup. Allow to set for a couple of seconds, 15-20s, before breaking up with a spoon (for larger flowers). Turn the heat off.
- Sprinkle with the extra scallions.Serve warm and enjoy!Cuisine – Relish the taste!